Saturday, August 29, 2009

Laughing Peppers


 

   The day the Laughing Peppers came to be, is in itself a beautiful short story that is based on a true-to-life experience. So, it is just fitting that I begin the series of narratives with the introduction of my two forever-laughing friends.  

   One late afternoon, alone at home in the kitchen, I was preparing the ingredients for the beef stew which I planned to cook for my family. After slicing the red bell pepper in two, my eyes were drawn to the seeds that were so remarkably undisturbed. They remained neatly clustered on its core. I felt obliged to respect its formation. So, I carefully worked the knife around those teeth-looking seeds. To my surprise, the two halves of the red bell pepper revealed the unexpected. They appeared to be like two faces laughing together. As if they were making fun of me and laughing at me. The funny thing was, I joined in and started laughing too. It seemed like all the three of us were laughing about something hilarious, without knowing what it was all about! It was the  zaniest and unique experience I ever had in the kitchen.

   Knowing that the physical element of the Laughing Peppers won't last, I froze the moment with my digital camera. They haven't stopped laughing ever since!

 Some have asked how I did it. How did I make them laugh and what was the trick that I used. I honestly wish, I could claim any credit for it, but these happy peppers just laughed freely on their own! Believe it or not, I have tried many times to re-create these two clowns with other peppers that I sliced, but to this day, the Laughing Peppers’ jolly expression remains original and irreplaceable.

    The captured image of The Laughing Peppers is one of my most treasured shots and the most talked-about photo in my portfolio. Photo judges had recognized its unique artistic expression at least in two photo contest. With its contagious laugh, it has also won the smiles and laughter of the many who have seen it. I have used it to symbolize my two passions -- photography and writing. The Laughing Peppers have assumed my creative identity.

   It is quite amazing how an ordinary red bell pepper could turn into laughing faces. In retrospect, the humour that I accidentally created on the cutting-board  were in fact a good eye-opener. The Laughing Peppers made me realize that we all need to insert a little laughter in our sometimes stressful lives. It is a gift of joy. It is an emotion that stirs harmony. It relaxes our nerves. So why not laugh the stress away? After all, it is the healthiest way to stay young - at least at heart.

   In this day and age, we know of many different ways to amuse ourselves. TV Shows are the most common and shopping would probably rank second, followed by surfing the web and perhaps exotic travels. What about the old fashioned and no cost humorous conversation with families and friends?

   In the Holy Scripture, nothing is mentioned about Jesus laughing. Does that mean that he didn't?  I would like to believe that he did. He wept for people's misery to show His humanity. So, He must have laughed at some of the jokes of his disciples. Were the Laughing Peppers, one of God’s ways to test my humour? Well, if it was, I must have scored an "A" in flying colours, because today the photo of the Laughing Peppers can still put a smile on my face.

 
               

1 comment:

  1. Mario!
    I love your creative spirit and heart! From this day onward, I shall always check my peppers for the joy factor! :)
    Blessings,
    D.

    ReplyDelete